Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

School has been pretty interesting this past week since we are learning about sleep and sleep disorders. We have been focusing on sleep apnoea, but have learned a lot about narcolepsy, restless leg syndrome, sleep walking, insomnia, night terrors and teeth grinding. Yesterday, our lecturer (who is only about 50 years old now) was the doctor who invented the CPAP machine in the 1980’s! I’m sure a lot of you will have heard of the CPAP machine before, but if not- it is still often used as the best option for treatment of sleep apnoea and can be used for other respiratory disorders as well.

I’m finding a lot of the sleep physiology and pathology really interesting. I never really realized how EXTREMELY important sleep is! So you should all make sure that you are getting your 8 hours each night if you want to stay healthy!

I have been very busy with school lately since I’m trying to keep up with everything and at the same time trying to get all my big projects done before Brent gets here. PLUS, I have been doing a lot for the Med Revue Play AND I also have a weekend long Medic course coming up. The medic course is advanced first aid stuff- probably the next step up from Headguarding at the beach. We take blood pressures, blood glucose levels, oxygen saturation…etc, but still aren’t able to give drugs or anything- yet.

Now for the exciting news! Brent bought his ticket to come to Sydney and is supposed to arrive August 23rd. He has put in a request for a 6-week leave of absence- so once that gets approved it will be time to celebrate! AND also it sounds like Mom and Uncle Tom will be coming over here at the end of November, so I might not be so lonely for this half of the year afterall! :) Miss you guys!
I took this picture for you, Betty! :)

Ps. Tom and Amelia- Thanks for the postcards!

No comments: