Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I’ve finally finished all the props and costumes that I was assigned to make for our Med Revue! I made a giant cartoon cow and a LOT of grass and flowers out of bristol board and cardboard. Janice and I have also been spending a lot of time hunting for costumes. The best ones we found were for 4 boys dressed as the Chinese National Women’s Swim Team. He he he. The Med Revue is running next Wednesday to Saturday- so I’ve decided to get tickets for Saturday to give Brent a few days to get over his jetlag before subjecting him to it! There was a cast and crew party for everyone involved in the Med Revue last Saturday- so Janice and I decided to go for a while.(This is a picture of all of the med revue people in our main lecture theatre.)It was pretty fun and I finally witnessed the infamous Australian ‘spinning goonbag game’ that I’d heard so much about! They clip a giant bag of awful red wine (the goonbag) onto a circular clothes line… and then they spin the clothes line around and whoever it stops at has to drink as much as they can from the bag. It was very funny to watch, but I kinda felt like I was in high school again. He he he. It’s definitely a game that the beach lifeguards would like to play (if we had goonbags or circular clothing lines in Canada). On Monday I got home from the hospital early, so I decided to go a yoga class on campus with one of the girls in med 1 (who also lives on my floor). I really liked it, but it was pretty expensive, so I’m not sure how often I’ll be going. Most days it is warm enough to be swimming outside again- so I’ll probably just spend some more time at the pool instead.

School has been ok, but I’m happy that respiratory block is almost over. I think I’ve said this before, but I’m very certain that I am not going to become a respirologist. This week we’ve been learning about otitis media (middle ear infections), pneumonia and also about the aboriginal people in Australia. At the hospital on Monday we learned to use otoscopes for ear exams and I got to see lots of ear drums. We also used audiometers and tympano-meters to measure our hearing. Luckily, I don’t think I’ve inherited my hearing from Mom. He he he :).Hematology block is coming up next. I’m not particularly excited for that block either, but mostly because we have to be at the hospital EVERY day for 5 weeks straight. I don’t mind being at the hospital, but the 4 hours of commuting each day is going to kill me.

At home, Brent has been busy competing at Surf Lifesaving Competitions. At US Nationals down in South Carolina, he finished 12th in the surfski and 13th in the international ironman. (For those who don’t know, the ironman, or ironguard, is a LONG race consisting of a surfski, a surf swim, a paddleboard and a short run. It is worse than 400 IM in swimming, I think!) Here are a bunch of pictures from Brent's friend, Chris: Monday and Tuesday, Brent and Juliann raced at the Ontario Provincial surf lifesaving championships which were actually held at Woodbine beach in Toronto (for the first time ever)!! It was very convenient for them and they both did really well! :) Brent won all 3 of his races- the surfski, the paddleboard and the international ironguard!! Jules did really well too! She came 5th in the 90m beach sprints, 8th in the 2km run and 2nd in a bunch of relays! I haven’t heard how beach flags went for Jules yet, but I’m sure she did well!! Between Jules and Brent, I think they scored points in just about all the events there! :)

Jamie spent this past weekend in New York and Boston playing a few shows!! It sounds like they went well! I wish I had have been there!
Well, I better get back to my work! I have lots to get done before this time next week!

Miss you all! :)

No comments: