Saturday, July 26, 2008

Saturday, July 26, 2008

I’ve been back in Sydney for about 5 days now, but am having a hard time getting back into things this time. My trip back to Canada was really great, but way too short- and it all feels like a bit of a blur now. It’s cold, dark and wet here these days and my apartment feels especially lonely. Also, Brent just got his latest visa rejection in the mail today- so I think we’re all out of ideas to get him back to Australia for now. It’s pretty disappointing.Anyway, I did have a really great time at home and Brent and I got tons done for the wedding in January. My flight over there wasn’t the best, but at least I had something to look forward to at the end of it!My first day home I was up early, had a great breakfast, went to the dentist, and ran some errands all before noon! I had made an appointment to go look at bridesmaid dresses at lunch that day, but none of the girls were able to come, so Brent and I went on our own. I tried on about 25 different dresses before we decided on one!That evening, Brent took me for dinner downtown at a restaurant called Brassaii and then we went to a pretty hilarious show (The Evil Dead) afterwards. Unfortunately, my jetlag was catching up to me and I could barely stay awake by the end of it. Brent had also reserved a room for us at the Marriott Hotel on Bloor Street for the night! (As a surprise a few years ago, he brought me to the Marriott at Niagara Falls and I loved it, so he had planned us a mini-getaway this time.) I LOVE the beds there because they are just UNBELIEVABLY comfortable… ! But, too comfortable I guess, because I literally fell asleep 5 minutes after arriving and didn’t wake up till a few minutes before checkout time the next morning! Poor Brent. :( But at least it took care of my jetlag! :)Thursday morning we had a really great breakfast at the hotel and then headed uptown to meet with our photographer. Things went great with him and we booked him for January 3rd! In the afternoon Brent took me to a really nice place on Avenue Road for a couples massage! The massages were great and we had a great time there.

On our way home we stopped by the scrap booking store in the beaches to look for some supplies to make our wedding invitations. They had some amazing stuff there, but not enough stock for us to get them all done.

That evening Dad and Norma took us for a nice dinner at the Hunt Club (where our wedding will be in January). Friday morning we were supposed to meet with the priest, but he cancelled on us, so we went downtown early to do some more invitation hunting instead. In the afternoon we headed up to Ashley’s with Norma to look into getting a gift registry there. I had never been in there before, but it is REALLY an amazing place. Everything is so nice! Brent and I had a really fun time picking out some nice china and lots of kitchen stuff. It’s too bad we won’t have a place to put it all for so many years. :( That evening, Mom took Brent and me back to the Hunt Club to meet with the manager and finalize things. Everything looked pretty good and we are pretty excited about it.

Afterwards, Mom brought Brent and me golfing on the course. We only played about 7 holes, but it was pretty fun. Juliann and Georgia came to meet us there when it got dark and we had a really nice BBQ buffet for dinner on the bluffs.Saturday was my first morning to sleep in and I really needed it. In the afternoon, we went to meet the priest and set everything up with the Church. Nana, Nono, Terry’s family and the McGill guys all arrived that afternoon and we caught up a little before heading down to the Boardwalk Pub for our Engagement Party. It was a really fun night and I was so happy that so many people were able to come. The time went so fast though and I hardly felt like I got to catch up with anyone (except maybe the McGill swimmers who stayed up with us till past 4 in the morning!). Sunday was a pretty relaxed day. Everyone left around noon, so Brent and I headed out as well to go hunting for more invitation supplies. We also managed to drag Jamie to Moores to find the boys some suits for the wedding.That evening we headed up north to Mom’s cottage in Georgian Bay. Mom, Jamie, Juliann and Georgia were all able to get a couple days off work so they came up as well.

Mom gave up her amazing master cabin to Brent and me for the nights we were up there- which was SO nice of her. The cabin looks out over the water and has 4 giant sliding doors looking right onto the lake. There was also an incredible thunderstorm our first night there which was spectacular to watch right from bed! On Tuesday, Betty and Floyd and Harry and Pauline all were able to drop by the cottage for a visit. It was the day after Harry and Pauline’s 35th anniversary so we had a little cake for them even though they couldn’t stay too long. Betty and Floyd stayed till the evening and then took Jules and Georgia back down to the city with them. Mom, Jamie, Brent and I stayed at the cottage for another day and did some more relaxing, sailing and trampoline-ing. On Wednesday night, Mom headed back down to the city and Jamie, Brent and I headed to Collingwood to spend a few days at Dad and Norma’s condo.We had a couple relaxing days there- working on invitations and hanging out by the pool. Dad and Norma came up and met us there and we were able to visit for a little bit before we headed back down to the city on Saturday morning.On our way back into the city, we made a few little detours and found me some shoes for the wedding. Jamie and Brent were pretty hilarious trying to help me choose, but nonetheless I think I ended up with a pretty good pair and a good deal!That afternoon Brent and I went down to the beach with our paddleboard and surfski and paddled all the way down to Ashbridges Bay to visit Jules who was lifeguarding at ‘Woodbine 6’. It was fun to be back at the beach and to see some of the people I used to work with.I hadn’t been paddling with Brent in a few years either, so it was really fun to be back there with him. That evening Mom took us out to Quigley’s for my last dinner at home. :(I left the next day and it was not a happy time. I thought it was going to get easier as time went on, but it actually just gets harder.

On my first flight I had a ‘talker’ beside me so I wasn’t too thrilled about that. But on my second flight I had a mom, a 6 month old baby and a 7 year old girl beside me. I thought it was going to be awful, but the baby actually ended up being great- and having a 7 year old girl lean on me every once and a while was definitely better than having a smelly man doing the same. I also looked after the baby for a while to give the mom a break, so I think she was pretty happy that I was there too. :)

So that’s it and now I’m back in Sydney trying to study- for the next 4 months. Thanks again to everyone who was able to fit me in while I was home. I miss you guys so much! :) xo (and thanks for reading!)

No comments: