Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Friday, February 9, 2007

Today was another pretty good day. I woke up late since I was up so late last night. Talked to Brent, had a shower and then headed down to the campus to meet up with Janice, Sadiq and Len. We took the bus down to Town Hall and then walked over to Darling Harbour. We met Sabiha, Brooke and Bryan (a 1st year too) at the Aquarium. It cost about $20 to go through the aquarium (and that was with a discount coupon and student card!). I’m not really sure it was worth it. It was nice, but it wasn’t very big, and is very very old. I’ve definitely been to better aquariums and I’m sure that Sydney has much more to offer to those visiting!



This is at Darling Harbour.

After the aquarium, the 7 of us had a beer and some snacks at a restaurant on the water. Then we walked through the city and the Rocks (an old kind of residential area) over to Sydney Harbour. I was on the phone to Brent just as I rounded the corner and saw the Sydney opera house and Harbour bridge for my first time. It was amazing. We stayed there for a few hours and I’m sure I’ll be back there a lot.

We walked around for a while and then decided to get some fish and chips and go sit in a park by the harbour (with a giant screen TV playing cricket). Australia and England were playing so there were lots of people in the park watching.

I found out that the Bryan I met today used to swim for Waterloo. He’s an engineer and has been working for the past 7 years to fund his medical education. Pretty impressive! Although, looking at him, you would not think he was a swimmer, an engineer or a medical student. He is covered in tattoos, he smokes, he is chubby and he has a huge beard… he he he! But it is all very deceiving I guess!

This is Brooke and Bryan- two more first year meds- trying on sunglasses at the Aquarium.

Anyway, we all got home at around 9pm tonight and decided not to go out. We were walking around for about 8 hours today and the sun is very hot. Us Canadians are not used to this weather at this time of year! He he he. Not that I’m complaining.

Tomorrow I am meeting Brooke downtown to go shopping. I REALLY don’t feel like shopping right now, but we have to buy some clothes for our clinicals. They told us that now that we are in school to be doctors that we are expected to start acting like them and dressing like them. They said it isn’t going to happen overnight, but that we have to start now. I didn’t think doctors were that different from us!?!?!

No comments: