Thursday, February 22, 2007

Thursday, February 22, 2007

These past few days have been full of labs and classes. We finished up the case study on chest pain today (but we will be revisiting cardiology for another 5 weeks at the end of this year) and we are moving on to nutrition and GI stuff for the next week.

This is frosh week (or ‘O’ week as they call it here) for the rest of the university, so a lot of kids have been moving into my building lately. Last night the fire alarm went off at around midnight (memories of Molson Hall at McGill). The alarm here is horribly annoying (there is a loud speaker in every room) and it goes off for about 15-20 minutes. I was on the phone with Brent and I think he was almost as annoyed with it as I was! I stayed in my room because the 2nd years told me that this happens all the time and there is really no point going downstairs (I found the same thing at McGill).

People in the med program have started to talk about their plans for the April break. The upper year meds told us we should travel during our breaks 1st year since 2nd year we will be studying for our barrier exams and 3rd and 4th years we don’t get many holidays. I have heard of a lot of people who are going to India (but I am ok not going back there for a few years), South Korea and Indonesia. Some of the Australians are going to Fiji and some of the other Canadians are going to travel up the east coast of Australia. My VERY exciting news is that Brent just booked a flight to Fiji today!! Fiji is only about 3 hours away from Australia, so it will be easy for me to get there! And… my 25th birthday will be during my April break, so I will get to spend it with Brent. A lot of backpackers go to Fiji so we are planning to get some cheap accommodation on the beach and relax for a few weeks. I am so excited! It is only 37 days away. (Norma’s sister, Linda, is going to be in Fiji at the same time- so maybe we will see her there! :)

I also got my first care package in the mail today :). I got some cards, some letters, some photos and a CD. It is very exciting to get mail here since it doesn’t happen very often :) he he he. Hint hint. Just joking. ;)

Miss you all and can’t wait for some visitors!! Xoxox

Oh- I also made pasta for my first time tonight- in the microwave! It turned out ok- but was a little bit crunchy. No more cockroaches to report.

No comments: