Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Tuesday, February 6, 2007


Just writing to let you know that I’ve made it to Sydney! The trip was so long and I had bad luck with a few little things, but I survived! J I wasn’t very impressed with the Sydney airport, but otherwise things have been ok. The customs lines there were longer than I’ve ever seen!! It took me about an hour just to get through to the baggage claim. After that, I had to wait in another line to declare some chocolate mini eggs that I had with me. Nothing was moving fast- that’s for sure. Getting a shuttle to my apartment was also a little bit of a wild goose chase- but a couple hours later I made it to the university with my 175 pounds of luggage.

Since I’ve been here, things have been pretty good. I met a girl from Vancouver in the same building as me who is here to start dentistry. She’s been here since Friday so seems to know a little bit about what’s going on. She’s been really helpful so I’m thankful to have her around!

Yesterday we walked around the campus a little (which is HUGE, but very pretty). We also went for dinner at a little Italian place (bring your own booze) on a really neat street close by. I’m living in an area of Sydney called Newtown which seems to be a really popular and trendy place. There always seems to be lots going on. It almost feels like a warm, english Montreal.

My studio apartment is also a lot nicer than I was expecting. (But I guess after Molson Hall at McGill, anything would seem nice!) I somehow ended up with a wheelchair accessible apartment on the 5th floor of the building. It is really spacious, though, and my bathroom is huge (plus there is a seat in the shower!!). I will send pictures once I am a little more settled in. My view out my window looks onto a small street, some trees, and the campus, with the downtown skyline in the distance.



And mom is still at home working on Brent’s visa. So hopefully it won’t be long before he’s here too!


My address here is

Jocelin Desjardins
c/o Sydney University Village- room 2507
90 Carillon Avenue
Newtown, NSW
2042
Australia

And my phone number here is 61 02 9036 4207. If you ever want to call me :). I have skype on the computer (which is free to talk if you get it too!). Also if you buy a calling card for $20, you get over 900 minutes of calling to Australia.

No comments: