Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Thursday, February 8, 2007

Today was a pretty good day. I woke up at around 8am and got to talk to Brent for a little while (he was at work). At about 10am I headed over to register in the Edward Ford Medical Building on campus. There was a big line to register, but when I got there the last person in line was a girl that I talked to a lot while I was at the interview in Vancouver last September. After putting my foot in my mouth, I found out that she actually hadn’t been accepted, but that her new husband had been -so she was there for support. She is also probably going to do teacher’s college here instead. Either way it was nice to see a familiar face.

The registration stuff took a while and they sent us all around the campus to different buildings to get different things done. It was confusing, but a good way to get to know a bit of the campus- and to visit the Great Hall which is part of the old main building on campus. The University is over 150 years old, so you can probably imagine how nice some of the old buildings are.

I went home for some lunch, talked to Jamie for a while and then headed back to the campus for an International Medical Student welcome and basic orientation. The dean talked to us along with several other administrative people. They were helpful and were basically there to welcome us to the profession, I think. They also told us that of the 43 international students in the medical program this year, 32 of them are Canadian (almost all of them from Toronto area and Vancouver area). We all seem to be equally frustrated with the Canadian medical system. (Some of the Canadians were accepted at schools in Canada, but decided on Sydney instead!)

This is Sadiq (“Sweater-vest”) and Len at Sadiq’s rez. They are first year meds too.

At the end of the session they had some food and refreshments for us and had 5 second year students come in to talk to us a little and to answer any questions we had. Since TWO of the second years there happened to be placed at my clinical hospital, my friend Janice (a med student from Toronto who is also at my hospital) and I spent some time asking them lots of questions.

After the session was over, the second year students invited about 10 of us to go one of the local pubs with them. It was called ‘the Alfred’, and was right across the street from the hospital. We stayed there for a very long time and ended up having dinner there too.

After dinner they told us to come to another med school hangout in Newtown, called Marly’s. This was a really nice bar with a bunch of patios and good music. We stayed for one drink and then grabbed some food on King St. and walked to a house full of 2nd year med students. It was a beautiful house worth almost a million dollars!! Don’t ask me how they are affording to live there!!

I found out so much useful information from the 2nd years though. They told us the really dangerous parts of town, the good places to eat, cheap fruit and fish markets, and how to get around the city. They also convinced us that we are placed at the best clinical hospital and they seem to absolutely love it. I’m really happy about that because I was kind of feeling shafted since I was placed at a hospital so far away. I also found out that I do live in a very hip and trendy part of town, although, it is also known to be the lesbian and gay area. I really haven’t noticed, but I’m sometimes oblivious to that kind of stuff if I’m not looking for it.

Unfortunately, the station that is best for me to take to get to my hospital is in a very bad area. There have been stabbings and shootings lately and they tell girls not to go there alone (even during the day). Apparently the aboriginal population here is a big problem and where ever there are lots of aboriginals, they pretty much tell you to avoid. They say that those areas are like pockets of a 3rd world country stuck in a developed city. I’ll get around this probably by finding people to travel with, or by going to station further away (even though it will add about 30 minutes onto my 1.5 hour trip).

Medicine does seem like it is going to be a very exciting profession. They told us today that this day (along with the day we graduate) are the most exciting times of our lives. We are starting a challenging and rewarding career and will hopefully have a profession we will enjoy for the rest of our lives.




This is the med building on the left and part of my walk to school.

Sydney University seems like a really good school to go to also. They are very internationally oriented, over 150 years old and are well respected. Also, in the medical program, we start in the hospitals next week! This kind of early clinical experience is impossible to get in Canada, so it is really exciting that we are getting it here. We will be taking blood by the end of the month!


The main people I met today:

Janice-1st year med student from Toronto and at my clinical hospital. Living on campus in a rez called the International House. Went to Waterloo. We are planning to go to the Aquarium together tomorrow.

Sadiq- 1st year med student from Vancouver. Went to Yale and has been published even though he is only 23. Nice, very well read and very smart. Staying on campus in St. Paul’s college which is a very religious and traditional rez. He has to wear a suit and tie (and a robe) to dinner every night. We have already given him the nickname “Sweater vest” or “Stuart” as in Stuart little who wears a sweater vest.

Len- 1st year med student from Peterborough. He has been here for 3 weeks and has got himself an apartment for a lot of money!!!!! Plus “white wear” (fridges, stoves, washing machines…etc) are not included in rentals here so he has bought himself all that as well. Funny kid though. Has a long term girlfriend in Canada who is planning to come over here in a few months. Len went to Western for his undergrad. Reminds me so much of my friend Mike Landell (from the beach).

Brandon- 2nd year med student. Lived in my same rez last year and is at the same clinical hospital as me. Also runs a volunteer first aid medic thing for students that I think I will join. He is from Vancouver and went to UBC.
Bryan- 2nd year med student. From Seattle and wants to be an emergency doctor. He turned 30 last June, but doesn’t look very old at all. He is also placed at my clinical hospital and loves it there. Both 2nd year students were SO helpful to us! I think Brent and Bryan will be good friends when Brent gets here.

I am on the young side as far as international students go- but apparently all the Australians are very young compared to us.

No comments: