Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The only exciting thing I have to tell you about today is that I spent quite a while this morning chasing around my first cockroach. As you probably can imagine, I was not very happy to see it, but I didn’t want to let it get away so I chased it down until I got it! I didn’t realize how fast those things move. I guess you can’t really avoid them here- I’m on the 5th floor of a new building and they still manage to get up here! Yuk yuk yuk.

Other than that, my day was pretty ordinary. I had two classes this morning- one on the anatomy of the thoracic cavity and one on biochemistry (which is horribly boring). I had a long break for lunch and then had a PBL session. We learned so much about chest pain and heart attacks I can’t even believe it. It was supposed to be an hour and a half long, but ended up taking 4 hours! We ended up coming up with our diagnosis, treatment, management and mechanism all today (which wasn’t supposed to be done till Thursday). But- now because we did all that, we have our Thursday session off! :) We learned about how to read ECG's, how an angiogram (and angioplasty) is done, tons of the anatomy and physiology of the structures in the chest, and what kind of medications we would give in these situations. There is lots more to learn- of course- but it is a good start.

Anyway, my PBL didn’t finish till around 6pm, so I had missed the movie that I had planned to go to with the other Canadians. Instead I went to Kmart to pick up a few more little things and then took the bus home.

I got a few pictures from Sadiq of our first few weeks here- so here they are :)


This is (from L to R) Bryan, Sadiq, Sabiha, Brooke, me and Janice at the Opera House.

This is the same day- at Darling Harbour. (L to R) Len, Janice, Sabiha, me, Brooke, Bryan. (All Canadians)

This is at the camping trip. (L to R) Emmy (Oz), Sadiq, Elaine (Oz), me, Len, Jacqui, Bi (China) and Janice.

No comments: